“Marines in Flight”
Entries are now being accepted for the 2020 student art contest.
Entries are due May 15, 2020.
To make submission as easy as possible we are accepting entries electronically. There are two forms to submit: a questionnaire about the work completed by the artist and a contact form attaching a photo of the artwork. The student questionnaire should be attached to the art contest submission form. Parent/guardians or teachers should submit the entries, not students.
Please keep the original artwork. Finalists will be notified in May and asked to deliver their artwork to the museum. Finalists also will be required to submit a release form signed by their parent/guardian at that time.
Who is Eligible:
All students in grades 6-12 in San Diego County plus all military dependents in grades 6-12 who reside in the Southwest District.
Awards will be made in two categories: Grades 6-8 and Grades 9-12.
Cash Prizes in each of the two categories:
First Place $300
Second Place $200
Third Place $100
All winning artwork will be put on display in the galleries of the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum.
All aspects of U.S. Marine Corps Aviation, past and present.
- One Entry per student.
- Artwork can be any paper medium or canvas board (colored pencil, pastels, water colors, acrylics or oils.)
- All artwork originals must be in an 11 x14 format.
- Paint must be dry and artwork must be fixed to avoid smudging.
- All entries must be original in concept, design and execution and not violate U.S. copyright laws.
- Artist’s name and a title and description of the work must be included in each electronic entry.
- Entries are submitted electronically by parents/guardians or teachers. Finalists will be notified in May and asked to deliver their original artwork to the museum as well as a permission form signed by their parent/guardian.
Deadline: May 15, 2020
How Artwork will be Evaluated:
A committee of retired Marines representing the Flying Leatherneck Historical Foundation and the Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum will complete the initial assessment of the artwork. A committee of professional artists will rank the finalists based on knowledge of the theme, creativity and originality.
The Flying Leatherneck Aviation Museum and the Flying Leatherneck Historical Foundation are not responsible for lost or damaged artwork.
Questions and Information:
Please call us at 858-693-1723 or send an email to FLHF@flyingleathernecks.org
There are two forms:
- A student/artist questionnaire about their artwork. These questions should be completed by the student. Answers can be clearly handwritten or typed on the page provided or students are free to answer the questions on a different page. The answers should be given to a parent or teacher for submission.
- An online submission form. This form and the information requested should be filled out by a parent/guardian or teacher. The student/artist questionnaire referenced above should be attached along with a photo of the artwork.