“Marines in Flight”
Winners of the 2020-2021 Contest will be Announced Soon.
2021-2022 Contest will open in the Fall of 2021.
2021 “Marines in Flight” Art Contest:
To make submission as easy as possible we are accepting entries electronically. There are two forms to submit: a questionnaire about the work completed by the artist and a contact form attaching a photo of the artwork. The student questionnaire should be attached to the art contest submission form. Parents/guardians or teachers should submit the entries, not students.
Please keep the original artwork. Finalists will be notified and asked to deliver their artwork to the Foundation’s office. Finalists also will be required to submit a release form signed by their parent/guardian at that time.
Who is Eligible?
All students in grades 6-12 in San Diego County plus all military dependents in grades 6-12 who reside in the Southwest District.
Awards will be made in two categories: Grades 6-8 and Grades 9-12.
Cash Prizes in each of the two categories:
First Place $300
Second Place $200
Third Place $100
All aspects of U.S. Marine Corps Aviation, past and present.
- One Entry per student.
- Artwork can be any paper medium or canvas board (colored pencil, pastels, water colors, acrylics or oils.)
- All artwork originals must be in an 11 x14 format.
- Paint must be dry and artwork must be fixed to avoid smudging.
- All entries must be original in concept, design and execution and not violate U.S. copyright laws.
- Artist’s name and a title and description of the work must be included in each electronic entry.
- Entries are submitted electronically by parents/guardians or teachers. Winners will be asked to deliver their original artwork to the museum as well a release form signed by their parent/guardian.
Deadline: April 6, 2021
How Artwork will be Evaluated:
A committee of retired Marines representing the Flying Leatherneck Historical Foundation will complete the initial assessment of the artwork. A committee of professional artists will rank the finalists based on knowledge of the theme, creativity and originality.
Photos featuring all aspects of USMC aviation are widely available online. Photos of the aircraft in the museum’s collection are located in our aircraft gallery
The Flying Leatherneck Historical Foundation is not responsible for lost or damaged artwork.
Questions and Information:
Please call us at 858-693-1723 or send an email to FLHF@flyingleathernecks.org
There are two forms:
- A student/artist questionnaire about their artwork. These questions should be completed by the student. Answers can be clearly handwritten or typed on the page provided or students are free to answer the questions on a different page. The answers should be given to a parent or teacher for submission.
- An online submission form. This form and the information requested should be completed and submitted by a parent/guardian or teacher. The student/artist questionnaire referenced above should be attached along with a photo of the artwork.